The Watch Tower Place d'Armes
The Watch Tower, 35 metres high is probably one of the oldest monuments in the city. In the thirteenth
century It was the centre of a medieval castle. Its date of
construction is uncertain. Some say that it could be a tower that
Charlemagne constructed about 810 in order to protect the coastline against
Norman invasions. The first
official date is 1302.
Construction of the Calais Lighthouse started in 1845 and functioned for the first time in 1848. to substitute the old Watch Tower. It first operated with oil then from 1883 with electricity . The lantern gives out four bursts followed by a gap of seven seconds. Its range is about 32 kilometres