Calais town hall Map for town hall
The town hall of Calais was built in
1885 on the merging of the cities of Calais and Saint-Pierre, on a barren
piece of land at between the two cities. It was designed in the neo-Flemish
style of the 15th century, by the architect Louis Debrouwer. Work started in
1911 but was interrupted by the outbreak of war in 1914. Repair of war
damage and the completion of the building delayed its inauguration until
1925. It was again damaged in 1940.
The belfry 75 metres high, contains one of the most beautiful chimes
in the north of France.
Rodin's statue the Burghers of Calais stands outside.